What is eLearning?
On-line Learning (or e-Learning) is giving students the ability to “get back on track” to graduate by earning course credit outside the normal school day via Internet connection. Students wishing to take an e-learning course must have the approval of his/her guidance counselor. The approval to take an eLearning course is determined by the base school.
The world wide web means that anyone with an internet connection can access publicly available information on computers anywhere in the world. This information can be anything from a soup recipe to the instructions on how to build your own space craft. This has also opened up the field of On-Line learning.
On-line Learning (or e-learning) simply means learning using a computer that is connected to a network. Imagine being able to access coursework from anywhere in the world with instant feedback.
Distance learning is now a reality. A student in the Australian outback could be working through the same course as a student in a New York High School. The tutor of the course could be in a Swiss log cabin.
Anyone can publish anything on the Internet. This is good in terms of freedom of speech, but a problem in terms of accuracy of information. It is sometimes difficult to work out what information is true or valid and what information is a hoax or fiction. If you represent a school, college or training establishment, the best way that you can assure validity of learning material is to have control of it yourself. While hosting your own site you can control the online learning,
KCS eLearning Registration
Policies and Procedures
KCS eLearning provides opportunities for students in Knox County (public school) to meet their education needs through online work. Students may enroll in individual courses to eliminate deficiencies on high school transcripts and to earn additional credits toward graduation or for enrichment purposes. The approval to take an e-Learning course is determined by the base school.
- Students must obtain an application from their school counselor for each 1/2 credit course. It takes parts A and B to get one full credit.
- All information requested on the application must be completed.
- The student's counselor must sign the application to verify approval of course to be taken.
- Students must enroll at the KCS base school guidance office IN PERSON in order for instructions and course requirements to be explained. This process takes approximately 30 minutes.
- Students should bring their completed application to: Their base school
Please Contact your Guidance Counselor
For more information or additional help, please contact the guidance counselor at your base school.